Saturday, 24 May 2014

C2K week 9 day 2

Ok as promised I went back out to St Marys Norton to even with the over cast some time showery weather its a lovely setting.


Ok so this first photo was taken yesterday but I forgot to point out my bike lent agianst the hedge is is just to prove that i am cycling to these locations in case you thought otherwise!

The Nave and Chancel

The east window



Sorry I forgot to take a note book with me so don't have any information on the windows but they all appear to be Victorian. Apart from the photos above all the windows in the church are as below


There are some large memorial tablets in the church almost all of people connected with Norton Court which is next door to the church. This one was rather grand it was only after I took it that I realised it is in fact two memorials, the top to a former Rector of Eastling, and adjoining parish, he died age 35 and was the son of the owner of Norton Court who just happened to be MP for Canterbury. Looking at some of the other memorials it appears that this family where not very lucky with at least three of there children dieing in their late 20 early thirties before both parents.


The lower memorial was for Benjamin Godfrey dyed 13th march 1704 aged 72 he also lived at Norton Court having married Mary Baptist Piggott who inherited the property on her fathers death. At the bottom of the tablet is in incomplete inscription it reads:
  
Mrs Mary GodI 
Who died May 7th 1730 being ascension day

I assume this was Benjamin's wife though she must have been some years younger than him to die 26 years latter or be well in her eighties which was unusual in the early 1700's. I can only assume no one could tell the stone mason the full inscription because as you see it was never finished properly.




I cycled home via Throwley church more of that another day this route included the dreaded Hempstaed Hill any one who has cycled the faversham charities bike ride will know what I mean, but I managed it without getting of and got home in one piece total 16.98 miles.


Cycle to Kolkata 
My Target 5% of total distance 327 miles 
TOTAL to date 240.24 miles
Total remaining 86.76
Days remaining 7 

No comments:

Post a Comment