Still a strong sea running up from the southeast so quite a surf breaking on the 'Ironshore' in front of the complex, nice to hear the waves breaking though. After running the children to school and Philip to work Claire drove me round the 'West Bay' area of the island. On route we stopped at governors beach, this is right next to the Governor's residence.
 |
| Governors Beach looking North |
 |
| looking south, the picket fence with the post in front is the Governors Residence |
The Caymans are still a British Overseas Territory and though they have an elected government who deal daily administration of the country the governor is responsible for internal security, defence, police, the civil service and external affairs.
From there we drove up past some traditional Caymanian houses and a great number that resembled the housing I have previously seen in Uganda. It seems there is a style of bungalow that was exported to all British colonies over the years!
We stopped at one of the two Dolphin Centres on the island to watch what was going on. I must admit I cant understand why people of are not confident in the water would want to sign up for a swimming with Dolphins experience! It was quite amusing seeing these over weight Americans from the cruise ships trying to take part! Question is do I spend the money to have a go myself???
I did resist the temptation of photographing them though!!!
from here we drove to Hell! Yes that's right Hell it has its own Post Office and post mark and gets its name, according to the guide book, from the quarter of an acre of blackened calciferous rock which early settlers though hell would look like. Did resist the chance to send you all a postcard from here and to get my photo with the bearded gentleman in a read cape who posed for the Cruise ship trade. The guide book recons that unless you are a student of geology you will not spend more than 10 minutes at this stop.
We may have done but that would be because of the iguana in the tree that both Claire and I tried to photograph
 |
| The rocks at Hell |
 |
| well almost got him |
From Hell we drove to Morgans Harbour for a quick drink at one of the two Restaurants on the water front, we were also interested in seeing the massive Tarpon swimming right up close to the piers. Its difficult to get an impression of size from the photos but I thing the largest was between 4 and 5 feet long
 |
| The view from the bar at Morgans Harbour |
I spent the latter part of the afternoon playing with Thomas in the pool at the complex where they live. This was great fun until I miss caught the ball and bent one of my fingers back! Ouch!!
 |
| The pool |
 |
| The pool |
 |
| met this little chap at the pool |
TOTAL to date 124.08 miles
So Claire has driven you to Hell and back, she did that to us when we were there LOL
ReplyDeleteWell I have swam with Dolphins and I have to tell you that if you can have a go. The strength of then is out of this world and they even towed a big Englishman with no problems
ReplyDelete