Monday, 5 May 2014

4th May Caymans day six {C2K week 7 day 3}

Late up this morning Philip had already taken Thomas to football practice so had a relaxing morning watching some comedy with Emily. When they returned we Philip I and the two kids went to the Botanical Gardens for the afternoon. Sadly my camera battery ran out half way round so I'm missing some shots I could have taken.

At the entrance was another if the 'Blue Dragon' Sculptures this one did not seem to have a name.




Just after the reception there is a small pool, standing in the middle of it was a green heron, a bird I have actually seen in the UK but that was a wind blown stray this one was in its home territory 



I'm sorry I didn't make notes as to what every plant was called so here are some pictures


Mousetrap tree {don't ask why}

Flowers of the Mousetrap tree

Calabas tree

Bananaquit

Cats Whiskers bush
 We found a lovely little gazebo, called on the map of the park 'The Tea House' next to a water-lilly pond we stopped here for lunch



Our lunch was rudely interrupted by a large Blue Iguana { Blue iguanas are only found on the Cayman Islands} who decided we should feed him he went from person to person begging for food.



'I am a proud Caymanian'
From the Tea house we went into the arid garden where we saw these strange flowers and also another Blue Iguana










Part way round is a traditional Caymanian House I managed to photograph the Kitchen but then the camera battery ran out!!!


 And finally a sign I saw in the car park as we entered but fits better at the end.



 I thing I'll have to revisit the gardens latter in my stay here. 

One thing I forgot to say yesterday is that I have this weekend retired my faithful old Cannon PowerShot A1000 all of yesterday's and today's photos have been shot on an Olympus Pen Mini E-PM2 most of today with a 40 to 150mm lens all of Batabano with the 14 to 42 mm lens.

TOTAL to date 124.08 miles
must try and do some cycling!!

3 comments:

  1. Queen Elizabeth II Botanical Gardens, Grand Cayman, a great place to visit. Full of colour and the only place on the island where you are guaranteed to see the endangered Blue Iguana. Loved it when we were there but found it very hot as being enclosed withing the vegitation you dont have the cooling breeze found elsewhere on the island so the heat just builds as you walk round. Great photos Steve!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice set Steven, the new camera did a grand job. We are really enjoying your trip, keep em coming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I studied your photos intently but will leave the flower names to those who know. They are very colourful, the Bananaquit especially, carry on the great holiday and sharing. Love the sign at the entrance and don't let your battery run flat again, I don't know!!

    ReplyDelete