Thursday, 26 June 2014

Another Sunny Day

So Thursday being another day of having to wait for deliveries here are some photos from my 26 mile ride on Wednesday.

Firstly Victory Wood, a 'new' public wood which I knew nothing of till I stopped there. Planting started in 2005 to celebrate the 200th anniversary of the Battle of Trafalgar I hope the info boards are legible to you all.





The Nelson Statue is interesting it has the names of all the types of wood used in HMS Victory carved into it.






Ok Powder is not a type of wood I just liked the barrel



At the top of Crows nest hill square post set out the footprint of Victory 17 of these posts have plaques with the names of the woodland species used in the construction of this ship.


In front of Victory are eight Quercus Ilex {evergreen oaks} which represent eight enemy ships of the line.  The board below explains this.


Looking from Victory to the south the land rises to 'The Link Sculpture' I hope you can see it in this photo.


Oh so you can't does this help


Looking north you see the Isle of Sheppy, The Swale Estuary and Whitstable Bay, if you look closely you will see the sea wall at Seasalter that two hours after this was taken I cycled in front of to get home.


Again the post you see mark out the stern part of the footprint of HMS Victory.
Any one who want to visit Victory Wood click here for google map and here for Woodland Trust Info

From Victory Wood I cycled to Whitstable, on route I set off the interactive sign on Borstal Hill which told me to slow down as I was doing 35mph not bad on a push bike!!! 
From Whitstable I took the sea wall to Hampton just west of Herne Bay on route I visited Swalecliffe Parish Church another building locked against vandals and theft with no information regarding access.


Lovely 'fishscale' tiling

I loved the look of the dark tiles on the roof 
All in all Wednesday was a good day just over 26 miles then another 1.56 in the evening cycling to town and back.

My contribution to Cycle to Kolkata 
459.08 miles


No comments:

Post a Comment