Monday, 20 July 2015

Norfolk {part 5}

From Castle Rising I cycled on trying to follow National Cycle Way 1. Not easy there seems to be an assumption that cyclist can see 42 by 2 inch sign stuck to post half hidden in the bushes, it wasn't till I cycled back that I realised where I missed the route. 
I arrived at the eastern end of 'The Walks' in Kings Lynn where I found these two wonderful sculptures






My target was Red Mount Chapel started in 1483 and completed in 1485 to provide accommodation for pilgrims on route to Walsingham.

The first three shots are a pan around the lower floor  





The upper floors are reached by a spiral staircase in the wall with a fantastic brick hand rail





The first floor contains two small rooms that were used by the resident priest really too small for me to get any decent photos. The top floor Upper Chapel wasn't completed until 1504. It's an amazing place with vaulted ceilings and a cruciform roof.






This window allowed the visiting pilgrims on the landing outside to watch the priest performing the mass. Don't understand why they were not allowed into the chapel that wasn't explained.







If any one thinks that graffiti is a modern phenomenon then look at the dates on these.


1885

1711

Has my brother been here?
1704

From Red Mount Chapel I cycled to South Gate the only remaining gate on Kings Lynns town wall.





From South Gate I cycled across town to the River Ouse to try and find the last remaining Tudor Merchants Tower in Kings Lynn




Then I went back to the Old Customs House to look at the exhibition there





 I then cycled back to Sandringham if you would like to see my route its HERE and information about Red Mount Chapel Here



1 comment:

  1. Nope wasn't me, chapel was closed the day we were in Kings Lynn!

    ReplyDelete