SO on the Wednesday I decided to prove the theory that Norfolk was flat and cycle back to Kings Lynn via Castle Rising I've since discovered that Sandringham is approx 131ft above sea level and Kings Lynn about 16!
 |
| Moat at Castle Rising |
 |
| The Keep at Castle Rising |
 |
| Detail on Keep |
 |
| Fore-keep entrance |
 |
| Looking down the Fore-Keep stairs at Castle Rising |
This arch was originally the entrance to the great hall until the 16 hundreds when it was blocked up and became a fire place The tiles where placed here in the 19C
Window looking toward the site of the Norman Church and Castle Rising Village
Window detailing
 |
| Site of Norman Church which was demolished to allow the building of the Castle. If you look very carefully on the sky line just to the right of the big tree what looks like grey clouds is actually 'The Wash' |
 |
| Entrance Gate |
 |
| The Village |
From the Castle I went down into the village to look at the Church which was built to replace the Norman one in what is now the Castle. I couldn't get a good shot of the whole building but look at the detailing above the door and you can see its connection to the castle.
From Castle Rising I continued trying to follow National Cycleway 1 Kings Lynn. Unfortunately someone has decided that cyclist don't need signs or that they can see through trees, so I lost the route on at least one occasion, but did manage to end up where I wanted to.
The route I took can be found Here more of my solo trip to Kings Lynn tomorrow.
Lovely stained glass windows and great blog.
ReplyDelete