Friday, 25 April 2014

Cycle to Kolkata week six day 1

A bit misty and murky today wasn't sure where to go so started with my standard five and a half mile loop via Sandbanks Lane, Graveney and back along the creek the only thing of interest was a brief glimpse of what I thought was a sparrowhawk harrying some smaller birds near the sewage works when I got there no sign of the hawk but hundreds of Swallows hunting the area. 'One swallow does not a summer make' but hundreds means we are getting close.

I decided to go up to Oare Nature Reserve and was treated to a nice view of a Reed Warbler sing on to of the reeds sorry no photo. But some general shots of the area as I said it was a bit grey today

The building on the left was used as the forge  in the BBC's recent adption of Great Expectations
 The whole area used to be part of the Explosives factories and it was here that the worst accident to befall the British explosives industry too place on April 2nd 1916  

Dans Dock you can still see the 'Barge Blocks' that kept the sail barges off the mud at low tide

Looking across the remnants of the Gun Cotton Factory

The gate houses to the Gun Cotton Works still exist gates in the middle
So this mornings ride was 13.65 miles and this afternoon I went to a meeting in town and added another 2.27 miles 

TOTAL to date 119.01 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment