Sunday, 9 October 2016

Sunday afternoon stroll

I have driven under this bridge on many occasions, I have always thought that it was a railway bridge I was wrong it is in fact part of the Lancaster to Kendal Canal and known as The Sedgewick Aqueduct. The information board says the aqueduct is owned by British Waterways now the Canal & River Trust .



There is a footpath that follows the route of the old canal which we followed. Its really strange to see a bridge in the middle of the field for no explicable reason




 And then in other places the original 'cut' is clearly visible.

Chris {foreground} Sammy & Steve next the Alice under the bridge!!!


here you see what you cant on an active canal

the fells in the distance

only the second fungi we have seen this year


Leaving the canal we walked down the hill to the river to return to where we left the car.

River Kent in December the water was at the top of the arch

interesting patterns in the bark


I was surprised by this suspension bridge, this footbridge was built to access gunpowder works on west bank of river Kent. The gunpowder works is now the Caravan Clubs Kendal caravan park. I wish I had known the gunpowder history before this walk as coming from Faversham I would have liked to have seen what is left of the works here and how it compares with our own history.




we did manage to see a heron today though he was a bit far away for my camera



and finally some sort of late orchid


1 comment: