Wednesday, 18 February 2015

Some thing New for 2015

Kent Kite Flyers have been invited to exhibit at the Brogdale Fruit Farms Hanami festival. Hanami is the Japanese festival of Cherry Blossom, so we intend to display some Japanese and Japanese inspired kites. So I decided to build a Suruga, a kite that normally has a picture of a Japanese warrior on it, but I have permission to use the Logo from Lion Drums who made my Cajon and thought this would fit well.

First stage cut out a template  www.kiteplans.org/ is a great resource and I borrowed the diagrams bellow to help me


 
 
So using these guides I cut a paper template and with a data projecter enlarged the logo I have onto the paper
 
 
I cut the main sail from  some yellow rip-stop fabric I have and using tailors chalk marked some guides to show where the logo should sit


Then again with the tailor's chalk I marked up the lion on some blue fabric and cut roughly round the image and laid it on the sail to get an idea of the fit


 
Next I had to reinforce the seven corners to prevent them tearing under tension and edge the whole sail leaving me with this
 


More to follow

No comments:

Post a Comment