Wednesday, 13 August 2014

Summer Countryside and hitting 10%

So todays main aim was to vist three pubs, not to partake of there wears but to try and get some gigs for Labyrinth, it does also add to my exercise.  The route can be found here my first port of call was teh Plough at Lewson Street looks to be a nice country pub with an attractive garden, no gigs though!! 

My next stop was the Checkers at Dodington the bar I entered was quite dark but there is a nice court yard at the front and I think a garden at the back, the landlord has only been here a few weeks so is not sure if he wants bands or not! I then headed out toward Payden Street and Warren Street, actually took a wrong turn as the road I had intend to take looked more like a driveway than a road and missed Payden Street completely.

Between Dodington and Payden Street I found this strange building



I haven't a clue what it is, though it now sports a water tank it does not look like it was originally built for this purpose.



And the harvest is being gathered in, many fond memories of travelling to and fro  in the 'bluebin' on my uncles farm during the grain harvest.

The next pub was The Carpenters Arms at Eastling I was greeted by a cheerful landlord who appeared interested and said he'd pass the info to his other half who books the bands. I bought a half of Whitstable Bay Pale Ale, my water was running out, and chatted to a young lad at the bar about the band and what sort of music we played. He bought me the other half and it turned out he worked the bar at the Carpenters and two other pubs in the area so he took our details, you never know. 
From Eastling I headed home via Painters Forstal & Ospringe stopping to look round the church.  I always think the tower looks more like a dovecot than a church tower.


Think I'll have a word with the Vicar about this 'Its Locked!!





The Village War Memorial

My route home from Ospringe takes me past the back of the Shepherd Neame Brewery and close to the creek imagine my surprise to find the road past the brewery under three inches of water!!

Looking along North Lane the water is at curb level on the right 

I stopped at Town Quay the location of Faversham's Nautical festival and took some more photos

Normal at high tide you'd just see the black line on this boat


Last June against the wooden fence and just to the left of the black bollards was the stage we played on for the 2013 Nautical Festival!!!

 The next three shots are taken from the swing bridge across the creek

Lower Brents
Town Quay

Gas Works Basin

Total ridden since last update 26.13 miles

My contribution to Cycle to Kolkata 
625.85 miles 
that's just over 10% of the journey



No comments:

Post a Comment